Include 4 elements in your design brief:
Goal = what to achieve.
Context = background, settings, in which the new product must operate.
Constraints = specific guidance, such as: a product should not weight more than 1 kilo.
Criteria = less specific, they are more open, such as: intuitive product for a specific lifestyle user.
Here is an example:
A kitchen utensil that will remove the skin from fruit and vegetables.
For daily use by men and women of all ages.
– Retail price no more than £7
– Time scale, in retail outlets in 10 months
– Weigh no more than 50g
– Suitable for left or right handed use
– Simple to maintain
– Simple to clean
– Simple to and quick to use, especially for those who have poor dexterity
– Easily identifiable and attractive in appearance to purchasers and users
28 June 2014.